Sunday, September 30, 2012

Gra#15 Meta Graf on Cause Essay

My essay was physically written over a period of three days, sitting at my computer, hoping I was understanding the assignment correctly.  However, mentally it was written over the course of the first six years of my son's life in the military, specifically how we dealt with him leaving home for the first time for any length of time. I can tell you, I wrote, I read, I cried, I cried, I cried, I shared with my husband, he read, he cried, he suggested it may be too deep for what my professor was looking for, and then I posted it. My professor read my essay in the early stages and said it was a paper that "had to be written". I'm assuming he meant I had a need to write it. He would have been correct. I can't tell you that some huge burden of guilt for suggesting my son enter the US Navy has been lifted from my shoulders, but I can share with you that writing it that gave me a confidence boost in my writing skills. I found out I do have an ability to express myself in words, a quality I didn't think I possessed. I can also share with you that my son is still in the U.S. Navy, on home soil, proudly serving. My eyes burn with tears of pride every time I think about him.

2 comments:

  1. About 'had to be written': I could see that it might get too 'deep' and that if it did and wasn't handled well, you'd be left with a mess. I thought briefly of switching you off to something more straightforward but decided not to because 1) I thought you could handle the material and not make a mess and 2) what the heck kind of lesson would I be teaching if I got all fussy and worried any time things looked the least bit tricky?

    Yes, you can and do express yourself well in writing.

    EMCC has no fancy professorial ranks, so my title, one I am proud of, is simply 'instructor' or 'teacher,' not 'professor.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. my bad...that's fancy talk for my mistake. :O)

    ReplyDelete