Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What I Know about making bread



How do you make bread?
I know you must first start with ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water and an oil of some type. You can mix the ingredients by hand, but a stand alone mixer is easier.
At some point you must have the ability to get your hands gooey yet flour them quickly so the batter doesn't stick to your hands. This is called kneading.
You have to have patience, bread though a beautiful art form, takes time to create. You will have to allow it time to rise in the bowl and then divide equally into pans for uniformity and let it rise again in a warm environment to almost double in size. Baking at the correct temperature for the right amount of time, is very important. Being the taste tester is the greatest gift of the entire project.
What sort of tips could I be taking for granted? 
I think there is a mystery to yeast mix time and the temp of the water it sets in prior to joining it's friends in the bread bowl, a tad more than baby's bath water just isn't accurate.
The temperature of the room to be when it says rise at room temperature also needs to be determined.
What, if any, are the secrets of yeast?
A little will do alot. As any member of the mold/fungus family would. Yeast has Biblical connotations as well, in the old testament it is compared to sin, just a little will affect the entire environment. So it must be a powerful ingredient to have in a bread recipe. Salt will inhibit yeast growth, never let it come in direct contact with the yeast.
What type of flour do you use? 
Just as important to yeast is flour. Cake flour is for making cakes and bread flour is used for making bread yet my gram always used all purpose flour. I'm not sure why. I will have to experiment to find out why.
Does the flour have be level or just adequately filled in the measure cup?
I'm not sure I know the answer to this but I will test and find out. 
Where is the best place for bread to rise?
Atop the stove, in the stove, on the cupboard beside the stove? The stove is a great place because as it preheats it gives off heat. So I would guess somewhere near the stove. I will experiment to see if the kitchen island is a good space as well, it is away from the stove.
Does the weather factor into making bread?
Weather does play a role in bread making, a humid day your dough will be stickier, during winter months if you flour has been opened for a while you may have to add a little more water. Gravity does work so even during times when the temp is right on the money dough can take time to rise.
Is it better to have the bread be kneaded by hand?
I have heard of no knead bread recipes but I have not researched them quite yet.
How does the amount of flour on the kneading board factor into the overall amount of flour required in the recipe? The flour on the kneading board/bread board should not be from the recipe's amount of flour desired for making bread. Just dust the bread board with flour too much flour and the crust will be thick. Too little and the dough will be sticky.
Is there a preference, wooden or plastic cutting board? It would appear the jury is still out on this one. In my family it has always been a piece of 1" plywood cut to about 24"x30" and it lives on the floor between the refrigerator and the cupboard closest to the refrigerator. The only thing to ever touch this board is bread dough, and the occasion molasses cookie dough. I will probably stick with what I know to work.
Does bread have to cool completely before cutting?
In my research I am finding this totally depends on the type of bread you make. Of course your ability to be patient also counts
Does cutting the end off bread stop it from cooking? No evidence to support this gram-myth. I will continue to research.
Do the costs of making bread outweigh purchasing bread from a bakery?
No, and furthermore the health risks of industrial breads in the supermarkets could end up costing you a lot more. Your time on the other hand could be deemed priceless. Sense and sensibility will win every time and you will find it cheaper to make your own bread. 
Do I think I am a failure if I cannot succeed in making bread? Not at all, quite the contrary, I would say I have outwitted those that have tried to teach me and my reward, they make it for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Try googling "slow baking bread"--I've had good results using this new-to-me technique.

    This section looks fine, except that parts of it read like you have already researched and found evidence or not. If possible, it should lay out what you knew or suspected before doing research.

    ReplyDelete