Thursday, September 13, 2012

Graf# 10 Person

On average a life long friend is not some one you have known from birth, unless of course you are blessed like me. I have a friend who has been with me since the day of her birth. The beautiful lady in my life is my sister, Lynne.

I remember well the days leading up to her birth. I was about two and half years old. There were always multiple aunts and uncles who would be inclined to ask me, repeatedly, are you excited for a new baby to come to your house? I wasn't quite sure what all this talk of a baby was about but I do remember getting into trouble for asking my mom why she was getting fat.

She arrived on a Monday, the 274th day of the year in 1968.  I remember being with a few of my Auntie's while my mother was in the hospital. I was told mom was busy doing something and she would back home when she was done.  Low and behold, when she arrived home finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she had this baby doll with her and it was moving. I took a little peek in under the blankets of security and thought I wonder where she is going to live.  After all we had only two bedrooms, my parents had one and I had the other. What a surprise to find out this bundle was going to live at my house! She was introduced to me as my sister! What a cool new word, I quickly adapted it to sissa.

You formulate a high archey of friends as you progress through grammar school. You have your best friends, your friends, your classmates and then those you were never lucky enough to get to know. I had all of those in my 9 room school house but my go to person then as now was my sissa. Yes we indeed had our share of "i can't stand you get out of my life" moments. Then there were the times she would chase me and I would run in the house before her and slam the door in her face. On two separate occasions she put her arm up in front of her face and her arm went through the glass in the door. Stiches for her spankings for me.  As I look back on it now, thats how we went through life, she was always getting hurt and I was always getting into trouble.

Our adult lives weren't much different, as I have said in the past, I had my first child at 15, my sister had her first ovary out at 15. I would go on to have my second child one week before I turned 18, and my sister would have a full hysterecomy at 23, never having children. Never having children, I know she isn't alone in her plight, but statements like that do not make it any easier. Her pain is just as real at times some 21 years later. If it pains her it pains me. We adjust, we have our days when she tells me I'm so glad I never had children. She has three very beautiful German shepkids and an amazing hubby to take care of her. We are both in our 40's now and she is a huge part of my granddaughters lives, more than an AunT (emphasis on the T) she is a co grandmomma with me. I couldn't think of a better go to person to share that role with than my sissa.

1 comment:

  1. "she was always getting hurt and I was always getting into trouble."

    Sorry to be smiling at her pain and your trouble but I can't help it--so true and so well put and so nicely foreshadowing the next very serious graf.

    In fact, grafs 2 & 3 do a wonderful job of setting up 4 which, as I said, sets up graf 5 perfectly.

    ReplyDelete