Monday, October 15, 2012

Contrast Essay Draft

Cash or Credit. It used to be a staple in the customer service conversation at registers. I remember well groaning internally when a customer wanted to pay with Master Charge or Visa. They were the two most common credit cards for Ames Department Store where I worked. The credit card device was heavy and awkward and the tissue paper would turn my fingers black. It was also one of the deciding factors in my life of choosing to never use a credit card. It's so much easier to just pay with cash. I was not going to inconvenience my cashier with a credit card.Obviously technology won out and today within my own business the machines to process a credit card are as easy as my I-phone and a credit card reader device. I most likely have the money in my back account before they leave the store. However I still don't use credit cards for my own personal transactions.

Cash has it's advantages. You can spend the amount you have and when it's gone it's gone. Until recently I wasn't able to wash my car or use a vending machine unless I had cash. I have strict policy never to take more the 120.00 to the grocery store with me. This way I have to make wise decisions with our food budget for the week. If I am getting gas, I usually have to prepay inside and never go over by a penny. Truly that is a gas credit users can't play and win, classic over squeeze always happens. Only after grocery shopping is done and if there is money left over do we eat out. You can imagine we don't eat out alot in one week but we do save the left over grocery money to eat out periodically. I like cash because it is tangible you either have it or you don't. Another fascinating feature of cash, if I lose it  I only stand to lose the amount I have lost, not the amount I have available. A blonde downside to cash is I don't have to lose it, I can shred it. I received two very crisp one hundred dollar bills one year for my birthday. I was busy opening the mail and not paying attention to the shred pile and the keep pile. I shredded my birthday money and could not get a "do over" out of my dad. Everyone may take cash but in that instances a check would have been so much easier! I enjoy the freedom of not everyone knowing how much cash we have at any one time.I feel that we are in control of our finances and not some big bank.

 Credit is empowering it and power can be dangerous. My husband had a life before me and it was steeped in credit. He was the totally opposite of what we are now. He never had cash. He tells me credit let him buy things that he had no business buying. If he didn't have enough credit he called for an extension. Credit allowed him the freedom to purchase big ticket items that he couldn't afford. At one time he had three trucks and just as many payments! I laugh at that because he could only drive one at a time. When I asked him what he was doing with three trucks at once he remarked, "The bank said yes". Impulsive purchasing is a definite downside of credit. It controlled him he was not in control of his credit. He would take extravagant vacations, purchase jewelry for his mom, and made these mindless decisions that he could buy affections for those he loved the most by charging it.  It took us a very long time to pay off all his debit when we married. You better believe privacy was non-existent with creditors, they kept an eye on him like a hawk. I can't say he fought me too hard when we met about giving up the credit. The toughest part was learning that we could walk out of a store without buying anything. It all made sense to him when I showed him how to live off the grid as far as credit is concerned.

I'm afraid this credit generation doesn't know what it's like to have a couple of "Benjamins" in their pocket that belong to just them. They have no idea how to scrape and save to earn what they want. They probably don't respect what they do have for belongings because they acquired it so easily, if they don't take care of it, they can just get another one.  In my life, I have worked I have saved and I have lived with out credit. I'm not so sure that my credit rating isn't a zero. I don't know many people like me. I drive a 2006 but it's mine and no one can ever repossess it. I have a two homes one I rent out and one I live in. I believe the Lord trusts those that are good stewards with money, with more. I do render unto Caesar, but I will give my cash away to missionaries before give an extra penny to the government in taxes. Cash or credit you say? It will be cash every time with me.

7 comments:

  1. The only parts of this that work for me are the first and last grafs, the ones with the direct LB experience.

    The other grafs, the 'you' grafs, would write harder but maybe read better if they had more examples, not general examples--specific ones.

    Part of the problem may be that you haven't quite decided what each of the three support grafs is supposed to be about--they ramble a bit.

    So, try a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. am i heading in the "write" direction here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better examples, yes, but you've lost the five graf structure and are trying a four-graf style essay. Won't work! Too much info packed into graf 2 & 3 and the reader can't switch back and forth between grafs to see exactly where the contrasts lie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please explain how to contrast two subjects and get three paragraphs about it. Shouldn't I contrast three subjects. I try spreading out what I have but I feel I don't have anything new to add. I just don't understand, I talked about cash in one paragraph and I talked about credit in the other. What does the third paragraph need to be about.
    Sorry to be so dense. This is why I am learning, because I don't know.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's how. Let's take cash vs credit.

    Graf 2 might talk about the privacy factor, cash vs credit.

    Graf 3 might talk about the responsibility factor, cash vs credit.

    Graf 4 might talk about ease of use, c v. c.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your patience with me..i'll get it

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i figure it out..with your most awesome instruction!

    ReplyDelete