Thursday, November 1, 2012

Example Essay T.O.E.



Terms of endearments have always been high on the list of things closest to my heart. Below are three of my favorite and the small history behind them. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I do writing about them.

My husband doesn't refer to me as his old lady. The number one reason for this is beside the disrespect involved is because I am really am older than him. For all you math freaks out there that like to have numbers confirm a relationship will last. I am seven years, seven months, and fourteen days older than my husband. 7+7=14. Meant to be, see?  The first endearing premarital nickname my husband gave me was Baby. But not just Baby, he has a certain Southern-Downeast drawl to it, so to spell it the way it sounds would be something like ba yh bee. It made me smile to hear the first time and it sounded so original it just stuck. To this day it remains one of my favorite words out of his mouth. Of course once we were married, much like every other princess, I received my official title that he refers to me as "my wife" especially when talking with others about me and I'm in the conversations as well. Not my wife, Linisa, but just "my wife". Of course I balance that out nicely by referring to him as "my husband".

My husband calls me "my help meet". He shares with me that during his daily prayer time he thanks God for me. Me! This little phrase is in the Bible in Genesis 2:18 and it says "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him", It brings me a sense of honor to know that he pulls these little nuggets from the Bible and is able to use them in our marriage. Building strength in places that could go weak without reinforcement. He pays attention to even the smallest of details. He assures me in using this word "helpmeet" it means we are in this together. We will be there to help one another, to support each others decisions, and as a team not to be divided even by death. 


"My best friend." This one always makes my heart smile. You don't know my husband, but I can tell you that he has lots and lots of friends, relatives, acquaintances, customers, and people that know him he doesn't even remember. He was 29 when we met. He had a history path full of true friends, that he thinks dearly of, and they him. So for him to call me his best friend. His BFF takes my breath away! If you aren't friends first prior to being husband and wife, you can't expect a marriage of love, honesty, and faithfulness. But there is something special about really being best friends first before you are married. I can't really describe it other than I concur with him, I would give that title to no one else. 

So there you have it, three examples of terms of endearment that my husband uses for me. There are a few more but I don't want to have to wrestle you for your attention.Be complimentary and compliment your spouse. Don't be disrespectful. Thank you for letting share these three. I pray they have been an inspiration to you to treat your wife or your husband as your help meet and as your best friend. 






4 comments:

  1. Very unusual topic, and that is a big plus when you can follow through, which you can: grafs 2,3,4 are fine.

    But graf 1 is all about you spinning wheels, not sure if the topic has traction, goofing around with it a little, writing about the writing and,to a certain extent, writing about your uncertainty about the writing.

    But it's not really a break-in to the essay, more like a break-out of a writer's stress at not starting.

    Honestly, I don't think anything can be salvaged from that first graf except the last sentence. Try another intro graf in a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like being creative..and it is your fault I write without thinking about what I am writing..sometimes it just doesn't pay to be free with what your thinking. boo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to write without thinking--that certainly is my M.O. But that means rewriting sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grafs 2//3/4 are very strong.

    I have to figure out whether a piece works overall, not whether each part is perfect. I think the new graf 1 is mostly just a hurry-up to the middle grafs, but it works better than the other version, and the middle grafs it points to certainly don't disappoint.

    Call it done!

    ReplyDelete