Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Effect Essay #8 What am I?

 I can effect your mood, relieve stress, lower your blood pressure, while being extremely contagious. At the same time I've been known to boost your immune system and even release endorphins to make you feel fabulous. I come in many shapes and sizes with too many motives to list. Due to my flexibility factors, I can be cracked with little effort and quickly widen to an almost breaking point. Don't underestimate my effects I don't have to be used all the time or last a long time to be as powerful as I am. I have no shame in who I use to accomplish my survival.

Today as I left a homeless man that was walking down the street, I remembered it was the first time he had used me in years. Deep inside himself he was completely convinced he was done using me. But I showed him who was boss when someone passed him a hundred dollar bill. He was using me again just like old times. As he walked down the street his head high for the first time in years. He passed me around and around like a cheap drug. I infected numerous people that day.


A recent widow walked by that day and saw my friend the homeless man. She had been married to her husband for 50 years and gave me to her husband every day without knowing how I was affecting him. He told her on his death bed, what sorrows had been drowned in me for many days of their married life, as a result of her always being ready to make sure he had me. Since his death she had stopped using me, it was no fun for her to use me now that she was alone, or so she thought. She walked towards my friend the homeless man who gave her such a contact high before passing him by, man it was good to be used by her again!


My reacquainted friend the widow, made her rejuvenated self into the hospital to attend to her duties as a volunteer. GASP! I love the hospital it is my favorite place to spread myself around. She rolled her flower buggy on to the cancer floor, the CANCER FLOOR! People with cancer love me! Slowly we rolled into room 805 where an eleven year old girl with no hair and a short time to live sat upright in bed. The look on the little girls face caused me such excitement, I knew soon I would change it for there is no immunization against me. As the flowers were passed from the widow to the little girl, their hands touched, and I leapt from the woman to the girl with no remorse. From my perspective my day couldn't get any better.


Is this an effect essay or an effective riddle? Do you know what I am, if you do, you know my effect on the homeless man, the widow, and young girl with cancer, and this essay makes perfect sense and deserves an A. If you haven't figured it out yet, then it's an awesome effective riddle. However, in the interest of a good grade however I'm sure I don't have to tell you I am a ____________.


3 comments:

  1. I am a prayer? The power of St. Paul's love/charity (depends on your preferred translation; I like the KJV myself)? The Holy Spirit? The Bible? The Good News? Faith in Christ? Fear of God? The Inner Light? Not laughter or a smile? A hit from a joint?

    Too many possibilities, not quite enough of a hint for me, trying with the best will in the world, to unriddle this.

    I'll take this as is, though, or you can retool it a little and resubmit. Let me know what you want me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your sense of humor, though I can't quite put my finger on why...Riddle me this..when did you know it was a smile? I asked my husband when as well and I actually removed that part of the original writing. This was my first attempt at a riddle,and even though I wanted to answer to be in your face I did want to try and maintain a hint of secrecy, the joint was definitively a loss leader in the mix.. Thank you for playing along. :)

    I too prefer the KJV Bible as my reference Bible, as it follows along the closest with the original Greek. I use my ESV Bible for everyday reading and go back to the KJV for point of reference. V is version after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laid out my guesses in pretty much the order they occurred to me, so smile came in last, since I knew it was not a hit from a joint, though I went back in and substituted the joint and it worked pretty well.

    So, it wasn't an easy riddle, but then I'm more a frownyface than a smileyface guy, so it was always going to be uphill.

    Funny that for all your smile cheerleading, your own avatar picture hides your mouth! From what I can see in that avatar, you ain't smiling either!

    Anyway, I take it you want me to take this as is, and I have done so.

    No more riddles!

    ReplyDelete