Saturday, August 25, 2012

Graf # 2 Worst Teacher Ever

In 1981, I was pregnant and fifteen years old you can imagine that left my presence being wanted at the local high school less than desirable. I was an apparent freak of nature because I wanted to continue my education, my pregnancy was not an accident it was an on purpose and there where no other girls like me in our school of 120 teenagers. Truly I was a unique individual but after all I am so named. My purpose was not to cause a riff nor was I looking for any special treatment. I just wanted to finish out my freshman year at school. My baby belly was showing and in June I was in the end of my second trimester. I had about two weeks of finals before school was out for the summer. I certainly was not a fashion diva in school and on this particular day I wore a hand me down maternity top, out of sheer necessity, to school with the word BABY across the front of it. At this point my pregnancy was not a secret, this was just a shirt that accommodated my ever growing belly and I was quite comfortable stating the obvious. I will never forget the horror of having my name announced over the intercom, when I was called to the office. During the long walk down the short hallway that day a million things went through my mind. This was my first time to the office in my school career. I took a deep breath and opened the big wooden door and sat down while I waited for further instructions. It was then I was told the principal wanted to have a word with me. I nearly fainted in my chair. Although the principal was a family friend, this certainly wasn't going to be a social visit. My stomach flipped, my knees shook but I managed to stand and continue into his office. When I got there he simply said,"one of your teachers has a problem with the shirt you are wearing and you need to change your shirt." I didn't have a wardrobe at school nor, at this point, did I have any friends who were my size who could lend me a different shirt. I knew I would have to go home. As I sat outside the office waiting for my mother to come get me, my thoughts of anger were going deeper all the time. Did the principal just call me into his office and dismiss me from school all because one of my right winged teachers felt I was promoting that it was okay for teens to get pregnant?! She was a very stern woman, who I didn't have a class with. I didn't know her personally but apparently my BABY shirt offended her. When my mother arrived she quietly had a few words with the principal. On the ride home she shared with me what she said and I felt so vindicated. The jist of it was if Mrs. Strout was offended by my shirt Mrs. Strout should have gone home because I was there to learn not teach. The ridiculous judgement, from that teacher directed toward me was unfounded and not warranted.I certainly am not one to promote anyone to be like me. I prefer my originality and my name says that about me. On a side note, I did finish out my freshman year, I graduated a year early with home school, and once all my children were raised, I went back to school which is where I am now, studying to be an RN.

6 comments:

  1. There you go! We have the background, the incident, and the wrap-up (I particularly like: "Mrs. Strout should have gone home because I was there to learn not teach.")

    Ask yourself: if you were to break this graf into shorter grafs, where would the breaks come? Ask yourself: what could possibly be dropped from this graf that would give it an even sharper focus?

    Those are rhetorical questions only, just things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you John. If I'm reading you correctly, short version would be better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Short' isn't the right word. I'm always looking for compression, focus, and sharp-edged prose. A lot of the time, that prose winds up being shorter, but 'short' is the byproduct, not the point, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pregnant in high school, as well. Nobody understands that stereotypes aren't applicable to everyone. Some teachers at my school thought that I wouldn't make it through school or that I would fail classes and such. I graduated at 8 1/2 months pregnant with all A's. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear Jess!! Keep you head high and walk on! I raised two of the most loving and hard-working children. My son is 31 and is in Aviation in the US Navy since graduating high school in 1999. My daughter is an accountant for large company in Bar Harbor. I believe they were taught, we work for what we want in this society, it will not be handed to us and just because we are young, doesn't mean we are to be discredited as unable to do it!

      Delete